Piazza San Marco, Venice

Cleveland Museum of Art

Piazza San Marco, Venice

Bernardo BellottoLinkedCulture matchlcp-be1c32e5d677

Date
c. 1740
Medium
oil on canvas
Culture
Italy, 18th century
Department
European Painting and Sculpture
Institution
Cleveland Museum of Art
Object ID
137224

From the Cleveland Museum of Art record

This view of the Piazza San Marco, Venice shows Bellotto's devotion to faithful observation. At the left is the church of St. Mark with the Doge's Palace just beyond, leading to the lagoon. Vertically dividing the canvas is the campanile (bell tower) with the Procuratie Nuove (a government building) extending to the right. At the extreme right, opposite St. Mark's, is the façade of the church of San Geminiano which was removed in the 19th century by Napoleon. The two wings of the Procuratie were then joined across the west end of the piazza. Bernardo Bellotto was the nephew and student of Canaletto (Giovanni Antonio Canal, 1697–1768) who ran one of the most productive painting workshops in Italy. Like his uncle, Bellotto specialized in vedute (views) of Italy, especially Venice, which were purchased avidly by British aristocrats traveling on the Grand Tour. Bellotto later worked for the courts of Dresden, Vienna, Warsaw, and Munich, painting topographical and imaginary views of those cities.

The authoritative record is held by Cleveland Museum of Art. LinkedCulture surfaces this object and its connections; it does not alter institutional metadata.

Get printable QR codes

Open QR codes for this object page and the museum record. They stay collapsed until needed.

Open this page QR destination: https://linkedculture.org/q/q1.7r_hdfF4zTxFcgDS.uPji-nRHKvcuovMtqCjnPnTI_kJzI9X-j2MLKZbO_mzj7xOQOd2d_1Mw6iZrygm3qYVXO-fmIfvfOLy1pfqqnMYnUKGpvpoqrwDMa9XmN7H9N6LeIt6Z9M7-FbzjXfEHG7kG3bORNonuCqY2FiHL9l0_IQY5v846werZa8mSi_93g5VHEftP7bAX0NtbesZZ_dBa0VNqlozAmKpf27OoY_ICi2e1rogEqyqdlmh_vnFqMp2PyIEga6F3Wwtcpij3mt24KEXdyHNFc4wakXwiCWBph9iM9tfaMOi4A34Z6FtgzJJczgSee at Cleveland Museum of Art QR destination: https://linkedculture.org/q/q1.9Trwfm90U7ngkGfs.V-G8cMOUn-6tH46m8alGppMaZ1YKETlPgiw16PxGFZ7EXXZ6OUxSY-xuOollGmIkQ1XokiwQhXzEcKvIFMRs3fYnPrXod2SOArrCvsBzbxAy0f6MgfYRpYDrc2MVmEvFssWsQd-aDhI4EQkfHZ1bOnydLZbt3847r0a_X3SKnAVr4rt7J2PHJTAiHF4dX7u9DfGxgeJCVwimI0w8mEk4UsEfeP1oRH6_RktoykPx1HCdNgm7bDkgrXw3jIp7ALMQN-eZCOwWNedzcH_Or1VBr6ueud-RRhmzqMDd23vttQ
Open this page
See at Cleveland Museum of Art

Provenance & credit

As published by the source institution. Coverage varies — not every institution's open-data feed includes ownership history.

Credit line
Leonard C. Hanna Jr. Fund
Provenance
by 1833: William, 2nd Earl of Craven [1809-1866], Combe Abbey, Warwickshire | 1866-1883: George Grimstone Craven, 3rd Earl of Craven [1841-1883], Combe Abbey, Warwickshire | 1883-1921: William George Robert, 4th Earl of Craven [1868-1921], Combe Abbey, Warwickshire | 1921-1961: Cornelia (nee Martin), Countess of Craven [1877-1961], Hamstead Marshall, Berkshire | 1961: (sale: Sotheby’s, London, November 29, 1961, no. 42 [as by Canaletto]; purchased by Faroni); | 1962-: Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH

Related across collections

Semantically similar works from Cleveland Museum of Art and other institutions.