
Cleveland Museum of Art
Opéra (Rostral Column)
Charles MarvilleLinkedCulture matchlcp-6145c6810e2f
- Date
- c. 1875
- Medium
- albumen print from wet collodion negative
- Culture
- France, 19th century
- Department
- Photography
- Institution
- Cleveland Museum of Art
- Object ID
- 164966
From the Cleveland Museum of Art record
In the 1800s, gas lamps replaced the oil lights. When Napoleon III commissioned a new opera house in Paris in 1860, it was surrounded by a “Ring of Light,” including this column with three gas streetlights. The opera house became the setting for Gaston LeRoux’s 1910 novel The Phantom of the Opera , which inspired the 1976 musical and 2004 film. Paris is known as the City of Light because it was one of the first cities to install street lights—oil lamps in the 1660s.
The authoritative record is held by Cleveland Museum of Art. LinkedCulture surfaces this object and its connections; it does not alter institutional metadata.
Get printable QR codesHide QR codes
Open QR codes for this object page and the museum record. They stay collapsed until needed.
Provenance & credit
As published by the source institution. Coverage varies — not every institution's open-data feed includes ownership history.
- Credit line
- Purchase from the Karl B. Goldfield Trust
- Provenance
- c. 1990: Roxane Debuisson [1927–2018], purchased from a bookseller as part of an album, Paris, France | Collection Debuisson, Paris, France | ?–2006: (Howard Greenberg Gallery, New York, NY, sold to the Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH) | February 27, 2006–: The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH
Related across collections
Semantically similar works from Cleveland Museum of Art and other institutions.